All Known Life Depends on Water



From a biological standpoint, water has many distinct properties that are critical for the proliferation of life that set it apart from other substances. It carries out this role by allowing organic compounds to react in ways that ultimately allow replication.

It is vital as both a solvent and as an essential part of many metabolic processes within the body.

Metabolism is the sum total of anabolism and catabolism.

  • Anabolism: H2O is removed from molecules in order to grow larger molecules.
  • Catabolism: H2O is used to break bonds in order to generate smaller molecules.

Humans can survive for several weeks without food, but for only a few days without H2O. A constant supply is needed to replenish the fluids lost through normal physiological activities, such as respiration, sweating and urination.

water-woman-drinking

The human body is anywhere from 55% to 78% H2O depending on body size.

To function properly, the body requires between one and seven liters per day to avoid dehydration; the precise amount depends on the level of activity, humidity, temperature, and other factors. With most of this being ingested through foods or beverages.

Purified H2O can come from any source, including spring, well, seawater, or municipal outlets. This source is then processed by reverse osmosis or deionization to produce a purified H2O that is indistinguishable from distilled.

One concern of purified H2O is that minerals and ions are being pulled out of it due to reverse osmosis and our body needs ions for the brain to function properly.

water-faucet

The FDA reports that; about 75% of bottled H2O sold in the U.S. comes from natural underground sources, which include rivers, lakes, springs and artesian wells. The other 25% bottled is sold simply as re-processed municipal H2O.


Bottled H2O is typically printed with expiration dates as a plastic container may leak chemicals such as phthalates or Bisphenol A into the water.

In most countries, including the United States, the regulations governing municipal supply quality, monitoring, and regulation are more stringent than those for bottled. And with the addition of a home filtration system in areas where the quality or taste is lacking, municipal water provides a far cheaper alternative to bottled.

Don't forget to bookmark us--Ctrl Key+D

Return from Water to Nutritional Wellness